Christian Broadcasting Network Africa (“CBN Africa”) operates the website, cbnafrica.org. It is CBN Africa’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information CBN Africa may collect while operating its website as CBN Africa takes the protection of your data seriously in all of its processing.
These platforms have some of the highest accreditations available for technical and organizational data security. For more information, please see below:
Data collected and purposes of the collection.
Like most website operators, CBN Africa collects from visitors of CBN Africa’s websites non-personal data of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site and the date and time of each visitor request. CBN Africa‘s purposes in collecting such non-personal data are to optimize users’ experience of the CBN Africa’s websites and render them more user-friendly, better understand how visitors use CBN Africa’s websites and analyze their behavior for statistical purposes, for example by monitoring the most popular service accounts on the CBN Africa’s websites. From time to time, CBN Africa may release non-personal data in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its websites. CBN Africa may display this information publicly or provide it to third parties.
Certain users of CBN Africa‘s websites choose to interact with CBN Africa in ways that require CBN Africa to gather personal data. CBN Africa does not collect and process more personal data than is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which personal data is collected and processed. The amount, and type, of personal data that CBN Africa gathers depends on the nature of the interaction, as detailed below.
- Prayer Requests users: users who request for prayers on CBN Africa’s websites are required to provide a First Name, Surname and email address for identification purposes. CBN Africa also collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for security reasons.
- Transactions with CBN Africa: those who engage in transactions with CBN Africa are asked to provide additional information, including the personal and financial information required to process those transactions. In each case, CBN Africa collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the data subject’s interaction with CBN Africa.
- Support: if you send CBN Africa a request (for example via a support email or via one of CBN Africa feedback mechanisms), CBN Africa reserves the right to publish it in order to help CBN Africa clarify or respond to your request or to help CBN Africa support other users.
You have the right to access and update your personal data at any time, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to do so.
In addition, and to the extent applicable, you are entitled to submit a request to the Data Protection Officer in order to:
- have access to your personal data and obtain information in relation thereto (i.e. purposes of the processing, categories of personal data concerned, recipients to whom personal data have been or will be disclosed, etc.);
- rectify your personal data;
- erase your personal data, unless retention of personal data is required by any applicable law or competent court or authority;
- restrict or object to the processing of your personal data; and
- receive, or request CBN Africa to transmit to another designated person or entity, your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
To exercise any of the abovementioned rights, please contact us at email@example.com, who will subsequently confirm you the execution of your request.
If requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because of their repetitive character, CBN Africa reserves its right to either charge a reasonable fee taking into account the request or refuse to act on the request.
Without prejudice of non-personal data, CBN Africa and/or the Data Protection Officer may request the provision of additional information to confirm the identity of the data subject if they have reasonable doubts concerning the identity of the person making the request.
Duration of storage
General and personal data will be kept by CBN Africa only as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which they have been provided, unless retention of data is required by any applicable law or competent court or authority or for statistical or archiving purposes.
Location of storage
- User data: your user information (i.e. name, email address, etc.) is stored in CBN Africa’s online systems. Some other data might also be stored on specific computing systems protected by Passwords and only accessible by authorized personnel or private cabinets accessible only by authorized personnel.
- Credit card credentials: whenever you make a payment through CBN Africa’s websites, credit card credentials are stored with CBN Africa’s partners; currently Stripe, Paypal, Payfast, Paygate and Fundraise Up.
CBN Africa has taken and will maintain appropriate technical and organizsational security measures in particular to protect your personal data against unauthorizsed or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage and ensure the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability of personal data and resilience of the systems and services used for processing of personal data. CBN Africa will test and review the efficiency of the implemented technical and organizational measures on a regular basis.
CBN Africa’s staff
Your personal data will be made available only to the members of CBN Africa’s staff who need to have access to such personal data to perform the purposes for which personal data have been provided. Such members of CBN Africa’s staff have been instructed with respect to and have committed to comply with the contractual and legal data protection obligations.
You must ensure that data you provide CBN Africa with is:
- truthful; and
- compliant with any applicable laws.
In particular, since CBN Africa will mainly use email communications with you, you are required to notify CBN Africa of any modification of your email address.
Insofar as you provide CBN Africa with personal data about third parties, you represent and warrant that you have the right to share this personal data and where necessary have obtained sufficient informed consent from such persons and provided them with all necessary information, as may be required by applicable law or agreement, for CBN Africa to store and process any such personal data.
Disclosure of your data
- Transfers to third parties: CBN Africa may disclose your data to its third-party contractors that need to have access to such data in order to process it on CBN Africa‘s behalf or to provide services available at CBN Africa‘s websites, in particular to other charities/organizations, payment processors, IT service providers, customer support providers, auditors and lawyers. A complete and detailed list of up-to-date third-party service providers is available upon request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Third-party contractors have executed agreements with CBN Africa requiring in particular that they abide by the rules of the applicable data protection laws, in particular the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679, the POPI Act, POPIA of South Africa and comply with any instruction they receive from CBN Africa, as data controller, regarding personal data.
If you are a registered user of a CBN Africa website and have supplied your email address, CBN Africa may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback or just keep you up to date on events and its projects. CBN Africa primarily uses cbnafrica.org to communicate this type of information, so CBN Africa expects to keep this type of email to a minimum.
You may opt-out from receiving CBN Africa emails at any time. Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving messages from CBN Africa, CBN Africa may still send you important administrative messages and you cannot opt-out from receiving such administrative messages.
In case of data breach. CBN Africa will take the following steps:
Step 1: We will first contain the data breach [to prevent any further compromise of personal information].
Step 2: We will assess the data breach by gathering the facts and evaluate the risks, taking action to remediate any risk.
Step 3: We will notify individuals if required. If the breach is an ‘eligible data breach’ under the POPI Act, all the affected individuals will be notified.
Step 4: We will review the incident and consider what actions can be taken to prevent future breaches.
If the changes are significant (e.g. your personal data will be processed for new purposes), CBN Africa will require your consent during your next visit on CBN Africa’s website. CBN Africa will not be able to provide you with all or part of its services as long as you have not accepted the amended terms.
If you need further assistance, please contact us at email@example.com or by visiting CBN Africa’s website and clicking on “Contact” to get other contact details.
We are committed to transparency and ensuring your right to access information. To facilitate this, we have provided the following prescribed forms in compliance with Section 83(3)(d) of PAIA for your convenience:
- Request of Access to Record – Use it to request access to records held by us.
- Outcome of Request and of fees payable – It will help you understand the outcome of your request and any applicable fees.
- Internal Appeal Form – Use it lodge an internal appeal if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your request.